Monday, September 24, 2007

Subbing, etc...

So last Friday was my first substitute teaching job. I thought I might try to sub on Fridays since both of the grandmas have that day off. Will spent the day with my mom. I think they had fun together and mom even helped me out around the house. I'm not sure how she did it with a toddler running around, but I sure appreciated it! The school I subbed at had a great atmosphere. Everyone was so sweet and helpful. Just walking into the place gave you good vibes. Despite this great experience, I can't see myself doing this on any kind of a regular basis. I enjoy teaching, but just not as much as I love being Will's mama. I think there is a little part of me that thought I needed to become a substitute to validate myself and be a part of the paid working world. There was something about that that just didn't feel quite right on Friday. I know it's only one day of the week, but I guess it's just the principle of the matter. I made a choice to leave teaching and it was a very well thought out and deliberate one. At this point in my life I feel confident enough to be "just" a stay at home mom without the validation of a paycheck.

4 comments:

ktjane said...

ah...i ♥ you. and you're not just a stay at home mom, but i know you know that. love you!

Kara said...

Tonya, I totally relate. There is not enough credit given for the sacrifice and patience it takes to be with your children all day, but I feel so blessed to be such an active part of these years!!! Raising amazing human beings would be a great accomplishment. Besides, we have years and years and years (starting to feel a little depressing) of work ahead of us in the future.

Cami said...

You get a paycheck everyday. It's just not monatery(sp?).

Leah said...

I had no idea you were trying subbing for that reason, I thought maybe you just missed teaching. You are an incredible mom and teacher and I am sure in time and if you want, you will find a balance of the two.