Monday, June 29, 2009

Cavatappi with Spinach, Beans, and Asiago Cheese

Doesn't that sound fancy? Don't be fooled, it's actually really simple. In fact, I usually don't cook much that isn't simple and easy. So, if you are looking for something quick and healthy to eat on a weeknight, try this. I love the blend of flavors and can usually make it even with two kids wrapped around my legs.

8 cups coarsely chopped spinach leaves
**4 cups hot cooked cavatappi (about 6 oz. uncooked spiral shaped pasta)
1/2 cup (2 oz) shredded asiago cheese
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper (I'm not fancy so I just sprinkle regular old pepper in there)
1 can cannellini beans or other white beans, drained
2 garlic cloves, crushed (I just use the minced garlic out of the jar)

Combine ingredients in a large bowl and toss well. Voila!

**I use whatever pasta my children can eat. I have yet to find cavatappi.

Maybe some of you foodies think it is blasphemous to not have one of those cool pepper grinders. One of these days I will be cool like all the folks on food network and use freshly ground pepper. It's probably terrible not to crush fresh garlic cloves either, but if I were striving for perfection I might never get dinner on the table. I like to serve this with some type of rosemary bread. My favorite is Big River's Pan Marino. It's so good with this pasta. I don't know if anyone will make this, but I just thought I would throw it out there. My neighbor gave me a big bag of greens yesterday, so the spinach was my inspiration.

3 comments:

Kristin Rosling said...

Sounds right tasty :) I'll have to try making it.

juliette said...

Sounds yummy. I'll go right ahead and plant some white beans and spinach (we already grew tons of garlic, unfortunately it's not the jar kind but the cloves that have to be manually processed). Todd can pull out the old pasta machine...alas, it does not have a cavatappi attachment...a few grinds out of the pepper mill, some coarse finishing salt (Maldon, of course), and there's our quick weeknight meal! Oh, I guess I'll have to buy the olive oil and the asiago. Keep cookin'!

Tonya said...

Juliette, you're such a foodie!

Kristin, let me know how it turns out for you!