Saturday, November 8, 2008

It's not on the test...

This link was sent to me by a dear friend and I thought I would share it with you. I taught third grade for a while and was disheartened because they were subjected to so much test taking. One of my students was in tears during the first session of test taking and they were so anxious. The next time around I told them not to worry, no matter what happened, their teacher would still love them. I also want to let you know that I did NOT teach to the test and my students did great. My goal was to teach them to think and instill a love of learning in them. Isn't that what we want for our future? I always thought it was such an honor that parents would entrust their most precious cargo to me for the bulk of the day and I tried to do the best that I could. I spent many extra hours of my life preparing my lessons. Most of all I wanted to make sure that my students felt loved and safe in their classrooms. I was certainly not perfect and had my share of bad days, but I still think of my students, all of them. I miss them, love them, and wonder what they are doing now that many of them are middle schoolers.

Soooo, check out this link, it's not as serious as this post!

www.notonthetest.com

3 comments:

ktjane said...

you are so meant to be a teacher! i love your heart, tonya jean!

juliette said...

I like it! And I like that you say "entrust their precious cargo" rather than "dump their snot-nosed kids." This cynicism is what separates the non-teacher (me) from the teacher (you.)

Kara said...

Can you please go back and just teach my kids? Our whole system of teaching to the test is so messed up. I am glad that there are some brave teachers left who will do what they know is best for children.