Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Books

1. Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollen

I finally finished! That's what happens when you read multiple books at once, it takes you a little while longer to complete one. If you have been around me in the last month or so I have probably talked to you about this read. How many of us really think about where our food comes from? This book will answer any of your questions and probably give you more information than you ever wanted to know about it. I thought I was fairly conscious of what I was eating, but this book opened my eyes even further. There is an entire section devoted to corn! Believe it or not, it was very fascinating! The world would be a different place if we gave more thought to what we eat and where it comes from. The choices we make have an impact. I won't go on and on in this blog. I don't like to get into the political/philosophical over the internet. I'd rather do that in person. I'd be happy to drink a cup of coffee with you and talk your ear off about it!

2. A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khalid Hosseini

I bought this book on Sunday and finished it Wednesday night. A pretty astonishing feat when you have a toddler running around. I read like a crazy woman during the evenings! I am blessed to have a sweet, sweet hubby who not only took care of the toddler one night when I couldn't stop reading, but also made me a hot cup of tea! It was heavenly! At one point in the novel, I had to call my friend, Diantha and ask her if this ended well. If it didn't, I was going to have to stop reading (yeah right). My heart was pounding while I read through some of these passages. This novel is by the same author who wrote Kite Runner--amazing writing! Although this is fiction, it lends a lot of insight into Afghanistan and its people. Thank goodness I belong to a book club because this is a book that needs to be discussed.

3. My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

This book was recommended to me by not one, but two girlfriends. This is what I am currently reading before I go to bed at night. Very interesting subject matter. Am I a nerd or what? I really love to read. Yeah, I'm a nerd.

3 comments:

Kara said...

I am so glad that you are liking "my sister's keeper," and I can't wait to read the other books. You are impressive Tonya... I need to find a way to make more time for reading.

juliette said...

Tonya, may I please, please borrow A Thousand Splendid Sons sometime? I'm reading The Heartsong of Charging Elk right now, but it is good enough that it won't last long. How can people not read? How can they go to sleep at night?

Shahnaz said...

I would LOVE to discuss A Thousand Splendid Suns with you! That was one of the very best books I read last year. It was heart-wrenching and left me emotionally drained. I was dying for someone I knew to read it so that I could talk about it, but everyone kept telling me it was on their list for later. Let's go out for coffee and talk about a book! Oh, but collectively we have 3 wee ones. Hmmm...