My coach looking especially coach like with that mustache!
My crew
Slow and steady
Getting closer...
Enjoying the post race festivities
All the gals: Kellie, Kara, Marianne, Me, Miss Audrey June
Kara talked me into running another half marathon. Here are the pics from the comeback race, courtesy of Eric Jensen. Thank you, Eric! It was a beautiful day and a great race. I can't believe how long it's taken me to get back into running after baby #3, but I'm glad to finally be moving this old bod again and I'm grateful that it still moves! Ha!
I was a little sad not to be running with the 9 minute mile pace group this time around. I thought it best to try and shoot for a 10 minute mile pace. My finish time was 2:05, which was better than expected. I was nervous when Kara and I started out. I kept looking down at my watch and seeing nines. Hmmmm..was I starting out way too fast? Would I burn out at the end and pay for this? It felt good to be running at that pace so I decided to keep up with it. Many times, at the end of a long run, I fizzle out. During this half I felt like I was able to kick it up a notch after mile 9. I don't think that's ever happened! It left me wondering if I could have pushed a little harder. Luckily I was able to live vicariously through Kellie who did hang out with the 9 minute mile pace group and acheived her goal of running this half in under two hours. Awesome work, Kellie!!! It wasn't long after my finish that I heard them announce Kara's name. What a gritty performance! I am amazed at her natural running ability. Did I mention that she has a baby younger than Audrey? Did I mention that SHE's the one that motivated ME to get back into running? I can always count on Kara for a much needed dose of motivation. Mere seconds after Kara crossed the finish line I heard them announce Marianne's name. My jaw dropped. She was aiming for 11 minute miles and finished way under goal pace. Whoa! I have to tell you that I got emotional upon hearing them announce her name. Marianne has worked her tail off and I was so incredibly proud of her performance out there. She really pushed it and looked awesome doing it too! I should also give a shout out to Juliette who is also a part of this group. We did quite a few early training runs together and she even got up early on a Sunday morning to come and cheer us on. We all love Juliette, how could you not? I'm looking forward to running a race with her soon. I think she mentioned a marathon, right Juliette?
At the finish line we were met by Eric, Mike and the combined brood of seven children. I was pretty impressed with the crew's performance at this race. Both of the guys made it to several stops to cheer us all on--not an easy task with all of those munchkins. Since Eric and Mike are both runners themselves I feel like they were extra enthusiastic and supportive of our race endeavors. Thanks crew! A special thanks to Mike who has taken on coaching responsibilities too. It's nice to be able to have an expert to consult! I'm looking forward to the next race.
4 comments:
Tonya's SuperBad Running Blog has all of us in a buzz... Cool, cool stuff hearing that training pays off. All four of you smoked that course and it was really fun witnessing everyone having fun and running well. Is there any chance one of you could of at least sweat a little or looked tired after running so far... Dang, we could have hired Becerra Photography to do a photo shoot of all you and all of you would have looked like a million bucks. Cool stuff Tonya... Thanks.
OH Tonya... you are truly a dear friend. Love ya. I love how you paint me in such a lovely way, but I just try to get you to do it so I can convince myself that I can do it when I am doubting myself :). You rock, and maybe someday in another chapter of my life I will run a marathon with you :). Eric, I don't think that even Becerra Photography could have made me look good after that race :).
Way to go Tonya!! Bush Park 5K to 1/2 Marathon. That's impressive training progress. I'm looking forward to adding your name to the list of Roslings passing me on the trail. Super job!!!
You are amazing! But you have to tell me if Mike lost another bet, because why does he have a mustache?
Post a Comment