Monday, July 26, 2010

Lilith Fair 2010

Kara grooving to a Michael Jackson tune
Sheryl rockin' it. I love this woman!

I love a woman who isn't afraid to take on a Led Zeppelin tune! My hero!


Ten years later...it's back!



I just want to say that we looked really cute for the occasion even though we are covered up in fleece and rain coats! Rain on July 2nd. Bah!


One of the gals on the small stage. Her first name was Marie and she was great. I took a picture of her because she was cute and I want her haircut! :)


This was the start of a crazy weekend. I heard Lilith Fair was coming back into town and I was so excited. I knew it meant seeing Sheryl Crow in concert and I am a huge fan of hers. The last Lilith Fair was ten years ago and I remember going with my college roommates. It was a great experience and I was sad to see it come to an end so soon. To me, it's historic. All of these fabulous women musicians just rockin' it. They are so talented and make me proud. I had just watched Coal Miner's Daughter, which is the story of Loretta Lynn. It got me to thinking about how amazing it is to be a woman in the music industry, especially in Loretta's case. She had all but two of her babies before she even began making music commercially. Juggling motherhood with other ambitions in no easy task and it was admirable to think back to the days of Patsy Cline and Loretta Lynn and the precedent they set for women. I appreciate them and what they have done for music and for other women. I'm so grateful for the sacrifices they have made so that we could have wonderful, beautiful music written from a woman's perspective. I love music written from a man's perspective too, by the way. Sheryl sang a Led Zeppelin tune and I just about jumped out of my skin from the excitement of it all. The guitarist she has with her is amazing too. She put on a great show, as did the other acts. One of the newer bands that Kara and I heard was Grace Potter and the Nocturnals. They were on one of the small stages and caught my attention almost immediately. I bought the album right after they performed. The music itself was a cool blend of rock, soul, etc. The lead singer had a voice that made you sit right up and pay attention to her. I was impressed as I watched her during the finale of the show with some very strong vocalists just belting it out with all the confidence in the world. Go buy her album. Sheryl Crow also just released a new cd and I'm loving that right now too!
The best part of the show was hanging out with Kara--a true friend rain or shine! :) We were two pregnant mamas rockin' the music scene!



4 comments:

A Barr said...

i am so jealous! love anne b


17 days to go Holy CRAP! See you sat momma!

Kristin Rosling said...

Im loving the Grace Potter album! She kicks some serious ass...i need to get that Sheryl from you! Anne's name being 'Hi!' is cracking me up :)

When is Ladybug gonna be here?? :)

Kara said...

Ahh... awesome picture of me grooving :). What a lovely day Tonya! Too bad we can't squeeze any more days like that in the next couple of weeks... or can we???

Tonya said...

Anne, aka HI!--thanks for the comments. I echo your sentiments about how many days I have left exactly!

Kristin--glad to hear you like the Grace Potter album. You definitely need the Sheryl Crow album. I feel like Ladybug is going to be here soon! I've been having some contractions.

Kara--you're going to put me into labor between nighttime walks and wanting to hit more concerts!!!