Today, I really got myself some religion!!! :)
After taking baptism classes with the pastor, I took the plunge, or should I say pouring? A very exciting day with family and friends to celebrate the next step in my faith journey. I've actually been interested in joining a church for some time now, but too chicken to go exploring on my own. When I did go to a church I felt a strange sort of pressure on me that I would shy away from. My friend, Katie invited me to a bible study 4 or 5 years ago and I have been attending small group bible studies on and off since that time to explore my faith, learn about the Bible, etc. We had some very interesting and thoughtful discussions. That was what I was looking for--real people who would ask questions and analyze the bible and their faith with me. It took me a very long time to actually start attending church regularly. The Mennonite church has felt like home and obviously I haven't received too much pressure. I was able to join in my own good time and make my decision thoughtfully. Many people have been with me on this journey. I appreciate and love each one. After the baptism, many members of the congregation came up to welcome me and give me hugs. Some of them I had met recently, some I didn't really know at all, others I grew close to through bible study. Of course, Katie was there and she was integral in bringing me into the church and consequently closer to God. I am indebted to her forever and feel so blessed to call her my friend. She never once pressured me, but she always gave me invitations and an open door. It was also wonderful to have my parents, in-laws and Stephanie there beside me singing in the pew and to give me hugs! Thanks to everyone for your support in my decision and being there to witness this special day. Pastor Brent picked out this special verse for me (he's a marathon runner):
I Corinthians 9:24-25
Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.
NIV
Sunday, September 13, 2009
Baptism
Posted by
Tonya
at
4:38 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I wish that I could have been there, but it sounds like it went well! Look forward to seeing you in a couple of days. See... I even stalk your blog from Virginia :).
Yay! Wish you could have been there too! Hope you are having a good time with your big sis. :) Stalk me anytime, girlfriend!!! :)
Oh that was wonderful to read about! I look forward to hearing more about it!
Sounds like a good fit!
i'm so glad you've found this community where you can learn and grow - that's so awesome, chica! and your first line made me crack up! :)kt
Post a Comment