Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Baby Gear

So, I have been researching cloth diapers a little bit and wanted to get opinions from other people. What do you think about cloth diapers? Have you used them? What are the pros and cons? Will I go crazy with a ton of extra laundry? The brand I am thinking about going with is called FuzziBunz. My friend Shahnaz has used these and recommends them.

It seems funny to me to be so ignorant about using cloth diapers when our mothers and grandmothers used them all of the time. How things change over just one generation, huh?

I also was wondering if anyone had opinions on a baby sling. This may be just a fantasy, but I imagine being able to nurse my baby in a sling while I chase down a toddler this summer/fall. Any recommendations?

10 comments:

ktjane said...

i have zero experience with this, but i'm just bursting at the seems to scream PLEASE USE CLOTH DIAPERS!!!! :)

Leah said...

I'll poll the mom's here in hippie town and get back to you!

Heather said...

I could never get comfortable with a sling, but I loved my Moby Wrap for when she was little, and my ergo carrier for when she was older. (I still use the ergo from time to time) Both of those worked for nursing, although the Moby Wrap was better.

I'm not using the Moby Wrap - let me know if you want to use it...

Diapers - Cloth is a lot of work. So are infants, so are toddlers. Don't fall for unnecessary mommy pressures/guilt, and do what feels right and survivable to you.

Marianne said...

Hey girl I have used cloth for 2 years now and no they are not difficult (I didn't get the impression you were being pressured)
I have a cool book on cloth diapering and I have many different types that I have used. Happy Hienes are my fav. Have you been to the cloth diapering store in town? It's across from Fred Meyer behind the 7-11.
Anyway come over and I'll show you the different types and explain how I do the laundry. Cloth isn't that hard and for some reason it gets a bad rep but be not afraid...

Oh and the showing of The Business of Being born was awesome tonight at the Odd fellows Hall. The panel talked for an hour and a half - awesome stuff. See you in class!

Marianne said...

Sorry I used my school log in - dhe design blog is me Marianne

The Growing Hennans said...

Hi Tonya!

I've been using BumGenius pocket cloth diapers pretty much since Benjamin was born. (Friends and family had given us enough newborn disposables to make it first the first two months or so and then we switched over.) I love them and they are adorable. I don't pre-rinse or anything. I simply separate the insert from the cover and throw in the laundry bag. (Soaking can lead to mold issues, so you just put them in a dry hamper or laundry bag.) I have about 20 diapers and do laundry 2-3 times a week. I have a normal 5 year-old top loading washer and I wash them with a 30 minute soak cycle and double the detergent I use with regular clothes (Tide) and things come out sparkling. I paid about $300 upfront, but there have been no other costs besides electricity, water, and soap. It really couldn't be easier and these will adjust with him as he grows and I won't have to buy any others. Definitely worth considering. I even got his chain-store style disposable only daycare to use them by asking my doctor to write a note saying that he gets diaper rash from disposables!

Here is a link I stumbled upon the other day. I don't know this blog at all, but towards the end, she gets into her discovery of cloth diapers. http://sarcasticmom.com/?p=278 Although she bought a toilet sprayer, I have never needed it. They just get clean enough in the wash.

Someone mentioned the diaper store by Fred Meyer. It is called Wee Bunz (http://weebunzdiapers.com/index.php). The owner, Amy, is a peach and can show you too much. She has every kind imaginable, even the old pre-folds that you use with diaper pins. (Which are GREAT rags, BTW.) You should really visit her and let her show you the options, then you can decide what is best for you. I did it because I couldn’t stand all the waste. You have to pick why you want to do it. If you wanted to buy a couple now, you could even try them on Will, for whom you know his excretion habits, and see if they hold up for you. The BumGenius pocket diapers fit up to 35 pounds and can be also adjusted to fit your newborn when they arrive.

Miranda

Kara said...

Tonya,
I think that you may inspire me to switch over to cloth next baby if it works for you!!

Tonya said...

Thanks for the feedback on the baby gear!

Heather: I meant to talk to you about the Moby Wrap during class today. I might take you up on your offer. Maybe you could give me lessons on how to use it!!!Felicia has one and loves it, too. I'm also interested in the ergo carrier. Sounds like a great thing to have.

Marianne: I feel so honored that you have finally left a comment on my blog!!! :) Thanks for the cloth diaper info. I would like to take a look at that book you were talking about.

Tonya said...

Miranda: Thanks for the down and dirty (pun intended) advice on washing, etc. of diapers. That's good to know. I'll have to check out the blog you mentioned and the store too! Hope you're doing well by the way. Miss seeing you, but I'm glad you have a blog so I can stay updated! :)

Leah said...

Our friends used their Moby wrap until their boy was over 20lbs, they loved it! They also used Bio Bottoms and Polar Babies for over the cloth diaper. You can also ask for a diaper service as a gift! The film Marianne mentions is the one I drug Bob to :)