Thursday, January 12, 2012

Grandpa Harold

We said goodbye to my Grandpa Harold this afternoon.  He died at his home this past Saturday.  A small service was held.  We were blessed to have some awesome people there to support us and provide food for everyone afterwards.  Thank you.  I ended up writing a song for my Grandpa.  I'm not sure why it came out as a song.  I usually like to write poetry, but this one was just meant to be a song.  Mind you, I am NOT a singer, but I felt called to do this, even though it was definitely outside of my comfort zone.  Maybe it's because Grandpa was such a musical person.  Maybe God thought everyone needed a good chuckle seeing me try to sing a tune to the background music blasting from my boom box.  :)  Here it is...


For Grandpa



You’ve got a twinkle in your eye

and a story to tell

I love you so much

Tho’ I didn’t know ya’ so well



Close your eyes now

And take a long rest

Let yourself be at peace

Life has been quite a test



Chorus:   The Lord will take you for His own, for His own

                       Hold you, keep you, go on home, go on home (2x)



You put the music in me

and a fightin’ spirit too

Now go up to heaven

and sing ‘em one of your tunes



Strum your guitar loud

and let us all know

You’re with your angel band now

None of the burdens below



Chorus:   The Lord will take you for His own, for His own

                       Hold you, keep you, go on home, go on home (2x)



Go up and kiss God’s sweet face

He’s been a missin’ you

Let him give you your peace

That’s been eluding you



I love you so much

Really hope you know

Can’t wait to go up too

And be with you 



Chorus:   The Lord will take you for His own, for His own

                       Hold you, keep you, go on home, go on home (2x)

2 comments:

Kristin Rosling said...

That is so nice, Tonya. And so brave to get up there and sing! Proud of you :)

Tonya said...

Thanks, Kristin! :)