That's what I tell myself each time I walk out of an establishment with everyone looking at me and my screaming children.
This time it was American Dream Pizza. My friend and I were trying to live the good life. It was Will's last day of school and I was ready to celebrate the start of winter vacation. I decided we should go out to lunch. On the way, my friend Stephanie calls, trying to stir up some fun for the kids. She tells me she is taking the bus downtown to see the trains (there are a couple of displays set up around town for Christmas). That sounded great and we decided to tag along to see the trains and THEN get a bite to eat. Lalala, isn't this always the stay at home mom dream that you've always imagined? I was even contemplating stopping at Burst's chocolates to get some bon bons to eat while I watched some daytime television as the children napped the afternoon away. Ha!
Okay, so the trains were actually pretty dreamy. The kids were having a great time and just excited about life. It was super cute to see them so happy over the whole set up. Now it was time to head out for some lunch. We knew the little people were going to get cranky if we didn't feed them soon. One of the kids spotted American Dream and wanted to eat there. Stephanie and I looked at each other as if to say, why not? Besides, you can hardly walk by that place without getting a slice. It's a little crazy around lunchtime, but it didn't seem unmanageable. We stood in line and ordered our slices while the kids sat at a table and colored. Will may have been trying to lift Patrick over his head, but it all seemed pretty much in control, for the most part. We gobbled down our lunch and corralled kids. Stephanie and I had to part ways because it was time for her to catch the next bus home. That's when it all went to hell. Something clicked in Ella's brain and she wanted to ride the bus too. I tried to reason with her, but it was too late for that. The fit was underway like a derailed Lionel train. Ever the compassionate friend and mother, Stephanie offered to take Ella with her. The offer was tempting, but I knew I would only be reinforcing Ella's bad behavior by rewarding her tantrum. I also knew that Will would have to tag along and I just could not, in good conscience, send Stephanie off to wrangle four little ones on the city bus. I thanked Stephanie for her kind offer and we said our goodbyes. Meanwhile, we were still in the restaurant and Ella's tantrum was escalating. I bent down to her level and tried to calm her down. As I was doing so, Audrey toddled away from me, right into the line of fire. A man walking to the restroom did not see Audrey toddling underfoot. She fell backwards onto the ground and hit her head on the hard floor. Audrey is one tough cookie, but that was a bad spill. I immediately scooped her up after watching this go down in slow motion. Then there was silence. Wait, I should specify...silence from Audrey, Ella is still wailing in the background. Then, an eruption of tears from another one of my children. Poor Will is just hanging out this whole time. Praise the Lord God in heaven.
Could it get better? As I'm comforting my baby, talking Ella down from the ledge and trying to get the heck out of the restaurant, two respected professors from grad school came around the corner. Someone I know and respect to witness this event in my life. Alright! I could not think of anything witty to say or come up with a little joke to offset my circumstance. I dragged our sorry selves out of there and had to walk a few blocks to the car. Honestly, I can't even remember how we got there. I just know that Ella was screaming the whole way and I was attracting a whole NEW crowd of onlookers.
A sweet woman on the street noticed my predicament and offered some sympathetic words of encouragement. I really wanted to cry on her shoulder, but alas, Ella was trying to throw herself into oncoming traffic, so my therapy session was cut short.
It's hard being three. One little injustice, like not being able to ride the bus home, can throw you into a tailspin. Your emotions can overtake you and you have to learn to navigate them. That's what this age is all about, mastering your emotions and expressing them WITHOUT screaming like a she banshee.
Ella has taught me a lot in her three short years of life. I am growing (albeit slowly) in two areas that I have been praying about and those are strength and patience. Strength to be the mom that she needs to be. The person that is in control when she is not. Also, strength to buckle three children into their car seats in rapid fire succession.
Friday, December 30, 2011
I'm Never Going Out in Public Again
Posted by
Tonya
at
10:23 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Dud-ette, your kids are money and I love the post. Been there and doing it... My technique is to tackle them on the concrete. That seems to get their attention. Keep on...
We are staying in sun river with brad and katie and i feel like my kids are nuts, fighting yelling and arguing and me being super annoyed and impatient.... i don't think i am helping them decide whether to have kids soon, I have definitely pushed them to the...we could wait a bit longer side:)
Eric--you're right, my kids are money and so are yours. I'll try a tackle on the concrete next go around and see if that sets them straight. :)
Anne--even at your most annoyed and impatient you are still awesome. You crack me up. I feel like I am a walking advertisement for birth control sometimes! Gotta love it though, right?! We're all going to have some fun stories to tell. Tell Brad and Katie to jump on in!!! :)
Thanks for this. Sometimes we find ourselves carrying Ada screaming through wherever we are at the moment. I have Clara in the pack, and I feel like I can sense people looking at Clara thinking "oh, great, they had another one!" It helps to know that we are not alone.
You are a great mom. If even your kids act up, then there must be hope for the rest of us!
I remember those days. I actually miss them, someday (Maybe), you all will look back and miss them too. The trials and tribulations of parenting. I like Eric's approach regarding tackling them, but I had no football training nor football pads.
Most of Carmen and my adventures with Amber and Andrew were at home. Well, that's where they started. We occasionally ended up at the hospital for stitches or ??
Our lovely children loved to jump on our California King size bed. On this particular day, Amber decided jumping on the bed with Andrew wasn't fun enough so she drop kicked him off the bed. He went head first into our dresser and needless to say all we heard were screams and crying. We eventually headed for the hospital for stitches.
Andrew never told on his sister and we always believed he just fell while treating our bed as a trampoline. Well until the story came out years later.
Ask me sometime about the scissors and short eyelashes. Kids are the joys and gems of our lives. Good and bad, they do make us stronger. Silent screams help too. You guys are awesome parents, hang in there.
Erin--good to hear from you! Love your comment. I sense people thinking that same thing sometimes! Bring it on! I love the challenge of motherhood! :) It gives me good stories to tell. I'm glad you think I'm a great mom considering that you have lived across the street from me and have seen me in action. Ha! I do wonder what the neighbors think of me. I miss commiserating with you!
Roger--LOVE the story! Actually, I love that you were told the REAL story many years later! You should ask William about short eyelashes too. He has a great story about that one! Can't wait to hear yours. Thanks for the encouragement!
We miss you guys too :)
I am crying and smiling, both, reading this beautiful blog. Tonya Rosling...how DOES she do it?! :-)
Post a Comment