Alright, it's a little dramatic, but tomorrow I send Will off for a full day of school (a trial run for the half day kinders). It's killing me. I'm making his lunch as if it were the last supper. I hate that we won't be together during the noon hour to talk about all that's happened during our morning apart. I've been thinking about what to put in his lunch box for over a week. It's ridiculous, I know, but I guess it's my way of showing him I love him and I'm thinking about him.
I used to swear that I would NOT be the mom that cut the crust off their children's sandwiches. What kind of pansy doesn't eat their crust? They would be tough, eat their sandwich, and be grateful that they had crust to eat, dangit! Now I actually OWN a special little tool that not only cuts the crust off the sandwich, it also makes two dinosaur shapes. Mmmhmmm. That's right.
While I'm preparing to make this last supper of a lunch, I decide to use the last of the freezer jam on Will's prehistoric p.b. & j. I do mean last. I scraped the insides of the jar until I couldn't get another drop. That's when I lost it. Yep. That's the last batch of jam we made during our last glorious, freedom filled summer of innocence. Traipsing away to faraway strawberry fields with friends. Then I can't hold back the tears because damnit, isn't that just freakin' symbolic? Come on! God was TRYING to get me to cry. Good thing I am so busy cutting slices of bread into brontosauri and don't have time to put on mascara anymore, otherwise it'd be running down my face.
Tuesday, May 22, 2012
Tears in my Peanut Butter and Jelly
Posted by
Tonya
at
10:41 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Sad! :( I still feel like I just met his chunky 5 month old self (kinda). Life is crazy, especially for the old people :)
I am a 50 year old mother of four with my sixth grandchild on the way. I loved your post so much. I laughed out loud. Yes. LOL With true tears in my eyes. Any mother would as they remember that day in their child's path to independence. You are NOT alone!
Kristin--I remember that day so vividly. I drove as fast as I could to come see you and introduce Will!
Cathy--Thanks for the comment! Glad you liked the post. Enjoy those babies (they're always babies to us, right?) and grandbabies!
Sorry to if this sounds insensitive, but this post is cracking me up! You are one funny mama.
I guess I'll be crying in the fall, but I don't have that special tool so Trevor's stuck with the crust. ;)
Post a Comment